Witte Krant / Papieren Tijger (1967-1968) Complete run of 9 issues
Provo-related Dutch underground magazine
Witte Krant / Papieren Tijger (White Paper / Paper Tiger), a Provo-related Dutch underground magazine, that advertised itself as a magazine that covers ‘Nieuws over de sosjale revoluutsie in de derde wereld, de kulturele revoluutsie in de westerse asfaltjunkels, de psiegedeliese revoluutsie in de underground, de lieve revoluutsie in Amsterdam’ (News about the social revolution in the third world, the cultural revolution in the Western asphalt jungles, the psychedelic revolution in the underground, the love revolution in Amsterdam’). The links with the Provo movement were obvious: Members of the editorial board were active in the Provo movement and the first issue was published less than two weeks after the abolition of Provo.
A complete run of 9 issues is offered.
Editors: Ron Augustin, Bert van Hoogenhuijze, Hans van Oortmerssen, Ben van Oortmerssen & Robert van der Veen (Eds.). Publisher: Witte Krant / De Papieren Tijger, Amsterdam. Magazine 1st Edition 1st Printing. Language: Dutch and some English.
The 9 issues (Note: The numbering is a bit odd):
1. Witte Krant / De Papieren Tijger #1. Content: London underground; The death of Provo; After the fall of mayor Van Hall; Review of the 14th Technicolor Dream at Alexandra Palace with e.g. Pink Floyd. Condition: Slightly frayed edge. Overall condition: Very Good. Year: 1967. Size: 43.1 x 30.5 cm. Pages: 4. Seller inventory: #23176.
2. Witte Krant / De Papieren Tijger #2/3. Content: Interview with Frank Zappa of the Mothers of Invention (translated); Sit-ins or Be-ins, what is the difference and what is preferred; An overview of underground publications; Psychedelic rockers in San Francisco. Overall condition: Very GoodYear: 1967. Size: 42.9 x 30.6 cm. Pages: 8. Seller inventory: #23177.
3. Witte Krant / De Papieren Tijger #4/5. Content: Cover: Drawing by Michael McInnerney. It's easy to get all kinds of drugs in London; Paris May 68, Posters; The history of light shows; Letter to Olaf Stoop (Real Free Press) in jail arrested for possession of cannabis; Bart van Herikhuizen feels that politics cannot be ignored as the hippies seem to do; First Love-in in Amsterdam a big success. Overall condition: Very Good. Year: 1967. Size: 42.7 x 30.4 cm. Pages: 8. Seller inventory: #23178.
4. Witte Krant / De Papieren Tijger #5. Content: Allen Ginsberg; Interview with Steve Abrams of Soma on legalization of cannabis and the famous Times ad; Simon Vinkenoog; Interview with Peter Goodman, author of "Growing up absurd"; Interview with Frank Joyce of the Fifth Estate (Detroit); Psychedelic back cover with comments on "Hai in de Rai". Condition: Stamp at the cover. Overall condition: Very Good. Year: 1967. Size: 43.0 x 30.5 cm. Pages: 8. Seller inventory: #23243.
5. Witte Krant / De Papieren Tijger #6/7. Content: Special issues on drugs. East Village, New York (English article); Steve Abram's SOMA; Reproduction of famous Times ad of July 24, 1967 for legalization of pot, signed by e.g. John Lennon, Paul McCartney; Simon Vinkenoog on grass; Mouna; LSD. Condition: Folded once. Overall condition: Very Good. Year: 1967. Size: 43.0 x 30.5 cm. Pages: 8. Seller inventory: #23180.
6. Witte Krant / De Papieren Tijger #7. Content: Cover illustration "Psychic surfriding on sunny explo" by Franz Deckwitz. Interview with John Peel; Sunny Explo arrived; Books on Vietnam; Ad for Flight to Lowlands Paradise with The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, The Social Deviants, Cuby and the Blizzards, Exploding Galaxy; The Bintangs, Rodijs and Simon Vinkenoog; Interview with Leslie Fiedler of LEMAR (Legalise Marihuana); London's scene overrated?; Statement on various issues by Simon Vinkenoog; Amsterdam scene should be aware of commercialisation; Olaf Stoop's Free Press page. Overall condition: Very Good. Year: 1967. Magazine 1st Edition 1st Printing. Size: 43.0 x 30.5 cm. Pages: 12. Seller inventory: #23247.
7. Witte Krant / De Papieren Tijger #7/8. Content: Cover: Picture "We love you" by Jean Paul Vroom. Diggers in Amsterdam and London; Interview with Miles on the London scene; Maharishi; Poem by Johnny the Selfkicker. Condition: Stamp at the cover. Overall condition: Very Good. Year: 1967. Size: 43.0 x 30.5 cm. Pages: 12. Seller inventory: #23244.
8. Witte Krant / De Papieren Tijger #8. Content: Five pages on Marshall McLuhan's "The medium is the me(a)ssage"; Soft Machine interview; Poetry by Simon Vinkenoog and Hans Verhagen; Free University in New York; Critical University in Amsterdam Rudi Dutschke on City Guerrilla; Diggers; Space place exhibition; The tribes of Amsterdam; Alice D-Day magazine; White Schools; Back page with quotes from LA Free Press, The Realist etc. Condition: Tiny tears at the bottom edge of the cover. Overall condition: Very Good. Year: 1967. Size: 41.8 x 30.1 cm. Pages: 16. Seller inventory: #23183.
9. Witte Krant / De Papieren Tijger #9. Content: Cover picture by Jean Paul Vroom. Interview with David Medalla of the kinetic theater group Exploding Galaxy (3 pp); San Francisco communes (English); Roel van Duyn's new provotarian strategy to attack companies making profit from the third world; Drug news; Herbert Marcuse; Instant Composer Pool (Willem Breuker, Misja Mengelberg, Han Bennink); Dragonfly; Kritische Universiteit (Critical University); Ko + Ko, the underground intelligence agency and news service; Demonstrations against the Van Heutz monument; Two pages Real Free Press. One against the survey on drugs by the University. Overall condition: Very Good. Year: 1968. Size: 42.9 x 30.4 cm. Pages: 16. Seller inventory: #23184.